Let us know if you need some extra help. You can learn more on our about us page. 

Tax liabilities of your unemployment benefit

Updated: Feb 10

This post was written by the team at Riveter. They negotiate discounts on behalf of unemployed Americans, and are free to join.

Are unemployment benefits taxable?

  • Yes. Unemployment benefits are considered income and are therefore taxable.

Are FPUC and LWA benefits taxable?

  • The Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) program provided an additional $600 weekly payment to any individual eligible for unemployment compensation and ended on July 31, 2020.

  • The Lost Wages Assistance (LWA) program began on July 26, 2020, and will provide eligible unemployment claimants a payment of $300 per week for a limited time.

  • FPUC and LWA are both taxable as income.

What about the CARES Act stimulus check?

  • The separate one-time stimulus check that Americans received as part of CARES Act is not taxable.

How much do I have to pay in taxes for Unemployment Insurance (UI)?