top of page

Reduced hours, but have excessive earnings?

Updated: Feb 10, 2021

Unfortunately, regular UI is not made to make up for your entire earnings on the regular. It has a maximum amount that it can provide to you each week. That maximum is $450/week (plus the $600 from CARES). DESPITE how many hours you work, if you are earning more than $600/week with the weekly benefit of $450 you will be considered having excessive earnings no matter what.

Based off the EDD website, if you:

  • Have wage loss for at least eight consecutive days because you are unable to perform your regular or customary work

  • Are placed in a position that pays less than your regular position

You may be eligible for reduced or full DISABILITY INSURANCE (DI) or PAID FAMILY LEAVE (PFL) benefits.

You can file online here or use these links:


Subscribe at the bottom if you want to be e-mailed updates.


Tools & Resources:

NEW: direct Unemployment Guru Help

We are now servicing people who have claims that have been stuck for months or those who need assistance with appeals. If you have other questions you can ask in our forum which we check periodically.

Tools & Calculators

Unemployment Gurus has tools and calculators to figure out those really confusing questions:

  • How much can I earn and still qualify for the FPUC $300 from the new stimulus?

  • Do I qualify for FED-ED?

  • How much will I get if I work?

  • What is my standard base period?

  • Do I qualify for LWA?

  • Am I eligible for UI?

Preview tools here



Are you missing unemployment benefits?

We've helped thousands get the unemployment benefits they deserve. For just $25, schedule your 30-minute consultation now.

Latest Blogs

bottom of page